Serving Plainfield, Oswego, Bolingbrook, Naperville, Aurora, Joliet, Romeoville & the Southwesten Suburbs of Chicago
The central support for your neck is your cervical spine. This stack of vertebrae, cushioned by cartilaginous discs and articulated by small joints called facet joints, surrounds the spinal cord, with the major nerve roots that serve the other parts of the body extending from small open spaces in this bony architecture. Disturbance or displacement of any of these components can cause acute or chronic cervical neck pain. Examples include:
- Bulging discs that have lost their height, allowing the facet joints to become strained
- Osteoarthritis of the facet joints
- Cervical spinal stenosis, in which the bony canal around the spinal cord becomes too narrow for comfort
- Herniated discs that jut out of the cervical spinal column to press against nerve roots
- Torn or strained muscles in the neck
Some of the problems may occur either as a result of injury or through chronic overuse. Painful neck muscles, for instance, may be under constant stress due to an imbalance that allows the head to sit off-center on the neck, or from poor posture or workplace ergonomics. But it can also happen suddenly, along with pinched nerves, herniated discs, and dislocated joints, in a case of whiplash where the head is flung with enough force to damage all of these structures simultaneously.
Neck Pain Solutions
At PRO Sports & Spinal Rehab, we can employ a variety of techniques to help you overcome your neck pain and all of them are completely non-invasive and non-pharmaceutical in nature.
- Cervical spinal adjustments can restore your neck's natural vertebral alignment, relieving joint stiffness, nerve impingement, and muscular strain.
- Spinal decompression therapy and Cox Technique can help damaged or degenerated discs reclaim a more normal position and/or height.
- Class IV laser therapy can help injured neck muscles heal faster and reduce osteoarthritis pain.
- Electrotherapy, massage therapy, and physical therapy can all work together to help you rehabilitate a neck injury and relieve tension in the muscles.
Our chiropractic clinic in Plainfield, IL. can even recommend lifestyle changes to help you maintain lasting neck pain relief.